Thursday 13 June 2019

Pinkpop/Music

Music (I attended Pinkpop Festival last Monday)



This time the blog post is all about music. A subject that lies close to many people‘s hearts. Therefore I don‘t think many of you will bother to read a post like this here. For me personally music does a lot. My taste in music is big. When in a certain mood, I only need to listen to the music that fits my mood or brightens my day. Sometimes that‘s Nirvana, other times INXS, Muse, Fleetwood Mac or anything else. Music inspires many people too, including Tom for the role of Loki (In this Only Artist fragment he mentioned that he listened to the song Mind Heist by Zack Hemsey for the role of Loki, and we know he got a lot of inspiration from listening to the Prodigy too.) He also shared 'Song of the Day' tweets now and then back in the days.

One of Tom‘s old 'Song of the Day' tweets.


Last weekend was a busy, but fun weekend. While in London the last performance of Betrayal happened on Saturday, here in Holland we approached an holiday (Pentecost) weekend. (Sunday and Monday) All three days I had fun things to do. On Saturday I visited an event that was all about healthy food/ healthy lifestyle, on Sunday I had a private event and on Monday I traveled to Landgraaf, where the yearly Pinkpop festival was held. This music festival had names like Slash ft Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators, Fleetwood Mac, Bastille & the Pretenders this last day. 

My Betrayal card I send to the theatre last April


A little background talk


Pinkpop is one of the largest Dutch music festivals. It‘s held in Landgraaf, an hour driving from where I live. Pinkpop is founded by Jan Smeets. He‘s known as a true Dutch hero, this year he even had his own statue on the festival. The festival had it‘s 50th anniversary this year. Can you believe my first visit was in 2013? Back then Green Day was the headliner. Awesome experience by the way, they were great!  That day I discovered their song 99 Revolutions, happy memories every time I hear the 2013 live on Pinkpop version. A amazing 50 year old festival this close to my home and I've only visited it 3 (Actually 4 times if Pinkpop Classic counts too) times.. I should go out more.. According to WikiPedia Pinkpop is the oldest and longest running annual dedicated pop and rock music festival in the world. Wow! The name Pinkpop actually comes from Pinksteren (Dutch name for Pentecost), because the festival is usually held on the Pentecost weekend. When on the Pentecost weekend, it‘s held on Saturday, Sunday and Monday. But when the Pentecost weekend falls on a date in May (the next two years), the festival is held in June from Friday through Sunday. Pinkpop‘s logo/mascot is a black haired doll wearing a pink dress. Also that‘s to be referred in the name since 'Pop' is the dutch designation for 'Doll'.


Green Day - 99 Revolutions live at Pinkpop 2013

In 2007 Pinkpop gained a little sister, a spin off called Pinkpop Classic. Held in August with more classic bands, most who stood on Pinkpop many years ago. I've went to Pinkpop Classic with my father in 2013, the last edition because it was very hard for the organisation to book bands for this one. My father said if I came across of Jan I had to tell him to give Pinkpop Classic a comeback, but I only saw him standing on the stage in the distance.

Actually the Pinkpop first performance I saw was from Tom Odell. A beautiful performance. Pinkpop also is a stage for newer musicians, which he then was. Back then Tom Odell said: "I think this is the largest audience I've played for so far. Thank you for being here so early." Another great performance from 2013 was Kensington, a Dutch band. I even had seen them here in a local town that same year. Nowadays, if you want to see a Kensington concert, you have to book early since their shows in the Ziggo Dome are known to be sold out in a few hours. Even though Pinkpop wasn't sold out last Monday, I remember back in 2013 it felt far less crowded.

Kensington sparkled the sky at Pinkpop 2013
Spoken of sky shots. I took another one this year. One with a very grey looking sky. Not long after it gave us the first rain shower! Well, that‘s where the grounds got colored with all different colors of disposable raincoats (also by the people who indeed disposed them by flinging them off on the ground afterwards).


When Fleetwood Mac got announced, a voice inside me already got enthusiastic in wanting to attend the festival this year, and later when Slash got announced I knew that I needed to go! Why? In 2015 I saw a few songs of their Pinkpop performance that year, filmed by 3FM. Among others they aired You Could me Mine (Guns n‘ Roses cover) and World on Fire, one of their own songs. They were so great, with that (and especially because of World on Fire) I had found another music love, found out that Slash was much more than the guitarist of Guns n‘ Roses. Outcome: I so regretted my decision of not attending the event for 2 days that year. Slash and his band were there on Friday and I went on Saturday, mainly because of (my friends and I wanted to see) The Script (also they were great too). So I said to myself: Next time Slash is coming, I‘m definitely going! (Last minute I found three people to come with me, phew!) I had to wait 4 years, but hey nothing compared to the 6 years I‘m already waiting for 30 Seconds to Mars, another band I regretted not have seen live after seeing the performance (Plus point: Their whole performance was live to follow!) on the TV.

30 Seconds to Mars at Pinkpop in 2013. Photo by: Bart Notermans.

Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators




My highlight of the day: The rocking sounds of Slash, Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators. I only saw a few songs of the Pretenders because they played on another stage before, and you have to make choices when you want to stand in front at Slash‘s performance. (Light point: I could watch The Pretenders a day later at home, because it got aired and Slash‘s wasn't.) That‘s something I don‘t choose to do often, or like ever. You shouldn't do that at a performance of Rammstein or Rage Against the Machine for example, if you don‘t want to end up in the raging crowds or if you don‘t feel like you‘re standing so secure in your shoes, like me. Fun fact: In 1994, the Pinkpop crowds had caused a small earthquake at the performance of Rage Against the Machine. Since last year I‘m developing myself by stopping to see my legs-condition as an obstacle. It‘s like they are less a burden now, but of course there are some limits. But standing in front at Slash ft. Myles Kennedy & the Conspirators is not something I regret. Except for a moment when the camera‘s were in front of my face, however it‘s not aired anyway.. 

The performance was awesome, a great experience to live from up close-by. I was able to take some photo‘s as well. I've got no professional camera, you weren‘t allowed to bring them anyway, but the photo‘s are good enough for Facebook and Instagram. (Next year I think I need a new phone, perhaps I should deepen myself in it a bit more.) Unfortunately the sky had mistaken Slash for Splash because it gave us lots of Splash the entire performance. But I‘m definitely not made from sugar. I wore the raincoat again, only my shoes were dripping wet. 



But yes, they totally were my highlight. And of course they didn't skip my favorite song, World on Fire! For those who don‘t know the song or like the song, I would like to share the song. The band probably didn't gave permission for 2019‘s performance, but because they had given permission to air the song in 2015, I can share 2015‘s version. I like Myles interaction with the public in the middle of the song, he‘s such a great singer. Yeah, they definitely know how to entertain the public! Their new album and tour name is named Living the Dream . Dream, one of my favorite words. Following my Dreams is something I‘m working on hard, so me standing in front of a performance of a music hero who‘s music I grew up with, (I babbled with the music of Guns n‘ Roses since I was a 2 year old toddler!) definitely is no coincidence! 



Had this posted on my Instagram a day before, my Slash pop was ready too!
(I also used my Slash pop last Halloween, to pretend Loki had dressed himself up as Slash for Halloween.)

Festival food


Mainly when spoken of festival food, you‘ll think of fastfood, the unhealthiest of the unhealthiest.. But a few years ago Pinkpop has introduced the Kalm aan Laan (Stay calm avenue), where lots of food trucks with healthy, organic and vegan were located. A very good initiative if you ask me. They had Pink (made from beet juice) vegetarian burgers, Banana bread, yoghurt, sweet potato fries, salades', name it. I took me a falafel burger (also pink), a piece of Banana bread (Too bad I didn't took a photo of the Banana bread counter, because they had more kinds and it looked and tasted delicious! But I‘m not the best at taking food pictures as you can see on the photo below..) and some frozen yoghurt (I guess the yoghurt thing is a tradition for me). So I managed to stay on the healthy course quite good. Only I took some fries before going home, to clear out my consumption's. (also bought a few souvenirs) You know at the healthy food event I visited last Saturday, they said it‘s okay to eat/snack unhealthy for 20% as long if you make sure to keep the healthy meter at 80%. And I stayed off the meat!


Festival outfit


Besides the famous pink Pinkpop hat (You can buy them on Pinkpop, also to support Amnesty International): What‘s the perfect festival outfit? Ideal is if the weather is good, so you can walk around in a top + short. Then you see people in bikini too. Not me, no definitely not! But when it‘s below 24 degrees, I can recommend bringing a little coat for when it‘s cooled down later in the evening. And don‘t forget to bring a small bottle of sun cream! (I also took bug spray with me, but didn't needed to use it.) Actually I would say: just wear what you feel comfortable in. (Once someone even made a pants from all the old pink Pinkpop hats, but I‘m not that creative!)

My dog with the 2013 hat (photo is a few years old) and this year‘s Pinkpop hat


I like to wear something that shows my love for music. I wore a Guns n‘ Roses t-shirt with the Use Your Illusion albums images on it. As a kid I always noticed the Red/Yellow and Blue/Purple colors of the images from these Guns n‘ Roses albums my father had in his CD collection.

Photo: Large.nl
Last summer I decorated an denim jacket with patches and pins from Nirvana and Guns n‘ Roses. I even got a patch from Thor on it. (Unfortunately no Loki patch to be found in the Netherlands!) Also I have added two Pinkpop pins and a pin I bought at the Top 2000 cafĂ© on it. There‘s a big Guns n‘ Roses logo on the back. Actually I meant to buy a small one, but when I bought it, I forgot to look what the size was. This jacket I also wore last Monday, however during most of the day it was covered by a transparent plastic disposable raincoat and before 14:30 it was too hot, so I took it off.

Stands out right?

Fleetwood Mac & the Fireworks


I felt enjoyed by the performance of Fleetwood Mac, but it wasn't I didn't feel the spectacular vibe (like with Slash or Green Day) a headliner should bring over to the public. Now and then singer Stevie Nicks went out of tone and for my feeling, she talked a little too much. But the fun and pleasure was well present and goosebumps during Go Your Own Way, one of my all time favorite songs. The title of the song is one of my favorite motto‘s. I you are going your own way, you are following your dreams! 


Because this was Pinkpop‘s 50th anniversary the organisation showed past highlights in video‘s after the performance of Fleetwood Mac. (Was watching a take In The End by Linkin Park from 2012, wow yeah goosebumps again!) Also there was fireworks while All You Need is Love from the Beatles was to be heard. If it was Bohemian Rhapsody it would have given me an New Years Eve feeling (Nr. 1 of the annual Top 2000, which ends a few seconds before the year ends). Beautiful and worthy ending of a successful edition! 

To end this post, two foto‘s of me being in my element at Pinkpop festival. The first one is from 2016, during the performance of The Script and the second one is a selfie I took last Monday.

Left: 2016 / Right: 2019

Keep on rocking in the free world!

No comments:

Post a Comment